Best Custom ADU’s In San Diego
ADUs are among the most popular housing options in San Diego today.
Why We Use Our Preferred San Diego Custom ADU Contractors ?
We handle several different services and do both large and small projects. If you only need us to work on your ADU setup, we can easily arrange that.
Some of the services that our ADU specialists offer include:
- Property consultations to evaluate and discuss options
- Working with architects to create custom plans
- Handling the permit application process
- Working with San Diego ADU contractors to build specific parts of the unit
- Working with San Diego ADU contractors to make the entire unit from the ground-up
- Coordinating work with other experts to make the unit livable
- Coordinating inspections and quality checks
- Working with San Diego ADU contractors to remodel existing ADUs
- Working with San Diego ADU contractors to clean up construction sites
Our San Diego ADU specialists are familiar with the municipal codes and local regulations for construction projects. We often work with city planners and can streamline the application process.
There are also no hidden costs to the project. After plans have been made, our specialists will evaluate the potential costs. These include the costs of labor for subcontractors, other expert consultations, processing fees, and more. You’ll get a quote before the project starts, so you know what you’re paying from the get-go.
We Work With The Best Custom ADU Contractors In San Diego
The answer is simple: You hire a team that can handle the design and permitting phases and then can manage the construction to completion.
Our ADU specialists simplify the process from start to finish. We can work with your existing experts or consult with experts of our own. You get to have as much or as little control over the project as you want.
Our ADU specialists will take that dream and turn it into reality. All you need to do is explain what you want, and we can take it from there.
Custom ADU Options In San Diego
ADU designs can vary widely in size, floorplan, amenities, and bedrooms. When you’re planning a project, you can choose from these three main categories based on how the project is constructed:
Detached models are not attached to an existing property. Instead, they are separate buildings. These ADUs are most commonly placed in the backyard.
These models allow a great deal of freedom with your design. You don’t need to work with any existing structures, which makes it much more manageable.
You can build an entirely new structure on your property. But you can also convert buildings that you already have. It’s common for people to convert large storage sheds or garages into detached units.
These ADUs connect to the existing residence on the property. These models function as a home add-on, but they have their entrance and are isolated from the other property.
The units are limited in size based on the original property. You cannot attach an ADU that has more than half of the floor space of your actual residence.
The attached units are the most common choice for in-law apartments.
Converted models turn part of the original residence into an ADU. For example, you might convert a basement into an independent living space.
These options tend to be the most inexpensive, but they are the least isolated.
Benefits of Working With Our San Diego Custom ADU Specialists
These are the top benefits of bringing a team into your project that works with the best custom contractors in San Diego:
- Familiarity with San Diego laws and fees
- Expertise in ADU construction
- Connections to professionals like architects, plumbers, and electricians
- Transparent planning and pricing that adheres to your goals
- Efficient construction with a specialized team of experts
ADU specialists like Organic ADU are not only experienced in the technicalities of the paperwork, but they also understand ADU-related challenges that lone contractors might not. A consultation with one of our specialists will let you discover the potential benefits of your project.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are my design options for a custom granny flat in San Diego?
Custom granny flats are built to your unique specifications. Rather than relying on an existing floor plan, they are designed and constructed specifically for you.
A custom flat can be tailored to fit whatever your needs are. They are most commonly used for:
- Attaching an ADU to an existing living space
- Converting a current ADU into a new floor plan
- Building on complicated terrain
- Creating unique housing units that meet niche interests
Why build a custom ADU in San Diego?
ADUs are built for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common ones include:
- Increasing the value of your property
- Building a home for loved ones
- Renting for increased income
- Having flexible housing or a guest house
These units have become significantly more common in San Diego over the past several years. There has been a shift toward ADUs since 2017 legislation that made it possible for homeowners to expand their property’s housing options.
San Diego also has benefits for residents to encourage ADU construction. For example, there are no longer thousands of dollars in fees for permits and development.
Are you still thinking about San Diego custom ADU construction options?
The best way to find out about your custom options is by talking to a specialist that works with a contractor than can help create your dream customized ADU. You can schedule a consultation to discuss your goals and existing property.
An ADU specialist will give you ideas about where and how a custom unit might be constructed. They can also evaluate your property in-person to create a more in-depth plan.
What is a custom ADU or custom granny flat?
ADU stands for Accessory Dwelling Unit. It is the technical term for an additional living space added to an existing property. “Granny flat” is the more colloquial term used because people often have their parents or in-laws live in the ADU.
These living spaces function as a home with a kitchen, bathroom, living area, and bedroom. Some might have multiple bedrooms or multiple living spaces.
A custom design is built for one specific property. Instead of being a pre-fabricated plan, it is created after the designer evaluates the property. It allows the ADU to be integrated into the existing property and meet any unique specifications that the property owners have.
What are the benefits of custom ADUs in San Diego over pre-fab?
Pre-fab designs are mass-produced plans that can fit a variety of different properties. But there are some significant benefits to having a custom plan implemented instead, including:
- Designs can include whatever floor plan, room size, finishings, and other unique features that you want.
- ADU specialists handle the city permit process for you.
- Custom projects take all of the costs into account upfront, so you don’t run into unexpected fees.
- Plans can be tailored for small properties and limited space in the backyard.
- Custom units are more likely to attract tenants than pre-fab ones.
- Getting financial approval for a loan on a custom unit is sometimes more accessible than a pre-fab one.
Get A Custom ADU In San Diego
If you’re thinking of adding a San Diego custom ADU as a guest house to your family home or on a separate property, we offer an array of services for projects of all sizes.
Our San Diego custom ADUs team will:
- Evaluate your property, including existing granny flats.
- Discuss options for your Custom ADU in San Diego, including the square footage of the unit.
- Create your custom ADU architectural plans.
- Design a custom ADU home office.
- Handle the permit application process from start to finish.
- Work with contractors in building parts of the custom ADU.
- Engage with San Diego custom ADU contractors to build your ADU from the ground up.
- Coordinate with functional design experts in creating your living spaces.
- Schedule and coordinate the needed quality checks and inspections.
- Consult with established ADU contractors in remodeling an existing home.
- Hire San Diego custom ADU contractors to clean waste from the construction site.
If you’re interested in building a custom ADU in San Diego, our experts are ready to answer your questions. You may have an ADU design or specifics (e.g., square feet) in mind. Just know that we’re on standby to help make your dreams of having your Custom ADUs in San Diego come true.
Custom ADUs In San Diego
Our team of experts focuses on building or remodeling your custom ADU in San Diego. Our ADU team knows the local regulations, municipal codes, and laws for your construction project. We work with San Diego city planners to streamline your construction application process.
How Much Does A Custom ADU In San Diego Cost?
San Diego’s Best ADU Contractors
Many people want to add an ADU to their property but are hesitant. The idea of managing all of the details to realize the result can be overwhelming. Most homeowners don’t have a background in architecture or construction. And many more know very little about dealing with municipal codes and requirements of a remodel or new construction.
- Our team of ADU experts simplifies the process of creating your custom dwelling.
- We work with your existing team or bring in our proven experts.
- Take as much, or as little, project control as you’d like.
Our San Diego Custom Dwelling Specialists
Select the best custom contractors in San Diego! Our ADU team is:
Familiar with San Diego’s laws and fee structures.
Experienced in-dwelling design and construction.
Connected to established architects, electricians, plumbers, and more.
Focused on your plans and the achievement of your goals.
Capable and efficient in managing your project and budget from inception to completion.
Our ADU specialist team manages the technical headaches of completing and filing required paperwork. They understand related remodel and construction challenges that inexperienced contractors might not.
Request a consultation from our ADU specialists to discover all of the benefits now.